On May 1, at least 30 soldiers of the Afghan National Army (ANA) went missing in the southeastern Afghani province of Ghazni after an attack by the Taliban.
According to the TOLO News channel, the missing soldiers were manning a checkpoint in the area of Arzoo which was raided by Taliban militants.
Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban, confirmed that the group’s militants captured a large garrison as well as a checkpoint in Arzoo. The spokesman claimed that 20 soldiers were captured along with their weapons.
Earlier this week, the ANA announced that it had eliminated 118 militants of the Taliban and had wounded 30 others in a series of operations in seven different provinces, including Ghazni.
As US forces conduct their historical withdrawal from Afghanistan, the situation in the country continues to spin out of control.
- On May 1, Taliban reportedly captured an Afghan Army camp in the Arzo area.
- On May 1, at least eight Afghan soldiers were killed in a Taliban attack in the Warduj district of Badakhshan province.
- On May 1, Taliban attacked Kandahar airport with several rockets.
- On May 1, US troops evacuated Shorabak base in Helmand province and handed it over to the Afghan army.
- On May 2, US troops evacuated Antonic base in Maiwand area and handed it over to the Afghan army.
- On May 1, at least nine people were killed and 14 others were wounded after a major fire broke out in Kabul city.
The TOLO News estimates that 226 civilians and military personnel have been killed by the Taliban since April 14, when President Joe Biden announced a plan to pull all US troops from Afghanistan by September 11.
The situation in Afghanistan may explode once US forces are out of the country. The Taliban is yet to reach a workable political settlement with the government.
- Massive Car Bomb Blast Leaves At Least 27 Dead In Afghanistan’s Logar Province
- 118 Taliban Militants Killed In Series Of Operations: Afghan MoD