At least 150 members of Saudi-backed forces have defected to the Houthis (formally known as Ansar Allah) as the Saudi-led coalition and its allies are on retreat in central Yemen. According to reports, the defected fighters were members of the so-called 6th Brigade led by Tariq Saleh as the Sixth Brigade. Units of the 6th Brigade are currently deployed in some areas near al-Hudaydah.
Meanwhile, heavy clashes between the Houthis and Saudi-backed forces once again erupted in the Madghal area and east of Sarwah. Pro-Saudi fighters tried to advance on the Houthi positions there, but their attack was repelled.
The general situation in central Yemen for the Saudi-led coalition and its proxies remains critical and pro-Houthi sources claim that the defense of Saudi-led forces is about to collapse. Regardless of this, the recent gains by the Houthis in fact pose a direct threat to the provincial capital of Marib.
A brief summary of the recent developments in Yemen:
- The Liaison and Coordination Officers’ Operations Room (loyal to Ansar Allah) reported 226 ceasefire violations in al-Hudaydah during the past 24 hours;
- On January 27, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted airstrikes on the Khab and Shaaf area;
- On January 27, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 6 airstrikes on the Sarwah area;
- On January 27, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 9 airstrikes on the Zaher area;
- On January 27, intra-tribal clashes were reported in the Bayhan town because of the disagreement over the control of local areas;
- On January 27, 150 members of Hadi forces, who were under the command of Tariq Saleh as the Sixth Brigade, returned to Ansar Allah in al-Hudaydah;
- On January 28, clashes between Ansar Allah and Saudi-led forces continued in the Madghal area and east of Sarwah.
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- Military Situation In Yemen On January 27, 2021 (Map Update)
- The Vicious Cycle Of Middle Eastern “Diplomacy”
- In Video: Another Ballistic Missile Is Intercepted In Skies Over Riyadh