The Houthis, formally known as Ansar Allah, have captured Mass Base in the central Yemen province of Ma’rib from Saudi-backed forces, several media sources reported on November 12.
Sources affiliated with Saudi-backed forces said that the Houthis stormed the base after a suicide attack without providing any additional details. Other sources said the base was targeted with missiles and drones.
Yemeni activists shared photos allegedly showing Houthi fighters inside Mass Base. However, Saudi-backed fighters released a video, claiming that the base is still under their control.
معسكر ماس يخضع لرجال الله وأبطال الجيش واللجان الشعبية يخضعون سجدا لله تعالى pic.twitter.com/0nBgbNTLJM
— ابو خالد الوشلي (@jalwashali) November 13, 2020
— أحمد الصباحي (@AHMED_ALSABAI) November 13, 2020
The Houthis have been attacking Mass Base, one of the largest Saudi-led coalition positions in Mar’ib, for several weeks now.
Heavy clashes between the Houthis and Saudi-backed forces are also taking place in Medghal and al-Makhdrah areas, which are located near Mass Base.
[ ?? YEMEN ]
?Les Houthis consolident leur avancée sur le front de Marib. Le camp militaire Maas a été capturé par les Houthis. Il marquait le dernier objectif avant la ville stratégique de Marib sur le front Est de Sanaa.
— (Little) Think Tank (@L_ThinkTank) November 13, 2020
Pro-Saudi sources claim that more than 200 Houthi fighters were killed in the clashes around Mass Base over the last few weeks. Saudi-backed forces also sustained heavy losses, according to several sources, which reported high-alert at Mar’ib’s hospitals.
The capture of the base, if confirmed, will be a major blow to Saudi-backed forces. Earlier this year, the Houthis secured vast parts of Yemen’s central region.
- Houthi Booby-Trapped Boats Attacked Jizan Oil Terminal In Saudi Arabia
- Military Situation In Yemen On November 11, 2020 (Map Update)