MiG-31 fighter jets armed with Kinzhal nuclear-capable air-launched hypersonic missiles have conducted over 380 patrols over the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, Russian Defense Minister said in a statement on February 20.
According to the Russian military, a flying squadron armed with Kinzhal missiles has been stationed in the Southern Military District since December 1, 2017. MiG-31s armed with these missiles have been carrying out patrols since April 2018.
In 2018, MiG-31s conducted practical launches of Kinzhal missiles at target grounds in various conditions, from the range of over 1,000km. All targets were hit.
In 2018, MiG-31 armed with Kinzhal missiles also participated in a joint drill with Tu22M3 bombers. The drills were designed to practice actions against sea and ground targets.
Shoigu added that the infrastructure for the deployment of the Avangard hypersonic glide vehicle system is being created in the region of Orenburg. In December 2019, the missile regiment armed with the Avangard will be placed on combat duty there.
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- First Ever Video Of Nuclear-Capable Poseidon Underwater Drone Released Online
- Putin’s Federal Assembly Adress: Sea-Launched Hypersonic Missile And News On Other Modern Weapons
- Russian Nuclear Submarines: Weapons Of Global War
- Russia’s Stealthy Strike UAV. Deadlier Than Expected
- INF Is Dead. Europe Is One Step Closer To Nuclear War
- Restoring Strategic Balance: Russia’s ‘Invincible’ Nuclear Weapons