Late on March 7, the Houthis (Ansar Allah) launched a large-scale operation against targets in the eastern and southern regions of Saudi Arabia.
Brig. Gen. Yahya Sari, a spokesman for the Yemeni group, said that a total of 14 suicide drones and six missiles were used in the operation codenamed “Deterrent Balance 6.”
Ten Samad-3 suicide drone and a Zulfiqar ballistic missile were launched at Saudi Arabia’s major oil port, Ras Tanura, on the Persian Gulf. Key facilities of the Kingdom’s oil giant Aramco are located there. Unspecified targets in the nearby city of Dammam were also hit.
The Houthis also launched 4 Qasef-2K suicide drones and six Badir artillery rockets at targets in the southern Saudi provinces of ‘Asir and Jizan.
“We promise the Saudi regime harmful and painful operations as long as it continues its aggression and siege on our country,” Brig. Gen. Sari said in a statement.
The operation was apparently a success. The Saudi-led coalition announced the interception of “two missiles” only. Furthermore, videos from Saudi Arabia showed explosions near Ras Tanura and Dammam.
From another angle.Patriot💤 pic.twitter.com/DYPywXz3KJ
— ZOKA (@200_zoka) March 7, 2021
Earlier today, the Saudi-led coalition carried out a series of airstrikes on the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, and other Houthis-held areas. Four civilians, including two children, were injured in the airstrikes. The attack clearly failed to deter the Houthis.
Operation Deterrent Balance 6 is the most recent in a series of large-scale drone and missile attacks by the Houthis against Saudi Arabia.
- Operation Deterrent Balance 1 targeted the Shaybah super-giant oil field in southeast Saudi Arabia on August 17 of 2019.
- Operation Deterrent Balance 2 targeted two strategic oil facilities in the eastern Saudi areas of Buqayq and Khurais on September 14 of 2019.
- Operation Deterrent Balance 3 targeted an oil facility of Aramco as well as “sensitive targets” in the western Saudi city of Yanbu on February 21 of 2020.
- Operation Deterrent Balance 4 targeted the headquarters of the Saudi Defense Ministry, intelligence facilities, King Salman Air Base and other positions in Riyadh and the southern provinces of Jizan and Najran on June 23 of 2020.
- Operation Deterrent Balance 5 targeted military positions in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, as well as in the Kingdom’s southern cities of Abha and Khamis Mushait on February 28 of 2021.
A few hours earlier, the Houthis announced that they had shot down a Saudi Vestel Karayel combat drone over the northern Yemeni province of al-Jawf with an anti-aircraft missile.
Five years into the war, the Houthis appear to be stronger and bolder than ever. The Saudi-led coalition has failed to achieve any of its key goals in Yemen and appears to be incapable of deterring the Houthis.
- Saudi-led Coalition Launches Fierce Aerial Attack On Yemen’s Sanaa (Videos)
- Military Situation In Yemen On March 7, 2021 (Map Update)