A total of 18,968 refugees have returned to the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh since the 14th of November, the Ministry of Defense of Russia announced on November 27.
In a press briefing, the Russian MoD revealed that 1,777 refugees returned from Armenia to the region over the last 24 hours only.
Russian peacekeepers, who were deployed to monitor the November 9 Armenian-Azerbaijani peace deal, are currently facilitating the return of refugees to Nagorno-Karabakh.
According to the Russian MoD, peacekeepers are working to remove explosive devices from the region, where a fierce battle between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces broke out on September 27.
“In the past 24 hours, 168 explosive devices were found. They were taken to a specially equipped training ground and destroyed,” the ministry said, according to TASS, adding that two power transmission lines and four cell towers had been cleared up from mines.
The ministry also revealed that military doctors will be deployed in the region along with peacekeepers to address the threat of the COVID-19 epidemic.
So far, Russia has deployed 1960 well-equipped peacekeepers in 23 posts in Nagorno-Karabakh. The situation in the region is now calm. Both sides appear to be respecting the Russian-brokered peace deal, despite some delays and minor issues.
- War Ended, But Armenia Still Suffers Losses. Azerbaijani Troops Enter Largest Armenian Gold Mine
- Pashinyan Addresses The Nation, Says He Won’t Resign, Blames Opposition And “External” Forces For Chaos