The Saudi-led coalition announced on September 19 that its naval forces had successfully intercepted and destroyed a booby-trapped boat in the red sea.
Col. Turki al-Malki, a spokesman for the coalition, said that the booby-trapped boat was launched by the Houthis from the shores of the western Yemeni province of al-Hudaydah.
“The coalition’s naval forces detected today’s morning, Thursday (September 19, 2019), An attempt by the Iranian Houthi terrorist militia to carry out an imminent hostile and terrorist act in the south of the Red Sea using a remotely-controlled booby-trapped boat, which the Houthi terrorist militia launched from al-Hudaydah … The booby-trapped boat was destroyed,” the spokesman said in an official statement.
The Houthis used remotely-controlled water-born improvised explosive devices (WBIEDs) to attack Saudi-led coalition warships several times during the last few years. According to a report by the Conflict Armament Research (CAR), these WBIEDs include Iranian components.
The Yemeni group has not commented on the Saudi-led coalition’s claims, so far. If confirmed, the attack attempt with a WBIED will be the first in several months.