Afghan security forces have eliminated Abu Muhsin al-Masri, a senior al Qaeda leader, Afghanistan’s National Directorate of Security (NDS) said in a tweet late on October 24. Al-Masri, believed to be al Qaeda’s second-in-command, was killed during a special operation in the province of Ghazni province.
According to al-Qaeda’s own reports, Abu Muhsin al-Masri was born in Egypt in 1958 and joined militants fighting the USSR in Afghanistan in 1986. In 1989, he moved to Pakistan and joined “Maktab Al-Khidamat”, which later became a part of al-Qaeda. The eliminated terrorist was cordinating the group’s propaganda efforts and was a member of Al-Qaeda’s high council.
Breaking news : as a result of NDS special force unit operation in ghazni province an al-Qaida key member for Indian sub contanint, Abu Muhsen Almisry were killed pic.twitter.com/4fmWzA5T4e
— NDS Afghanistan (@NDSAfghanistan) October 24, 2020
Husam Abd-al-Rauf aka Abu Mohsin al-Masri, a senior AQ leader, was killed in an #NDS operation in #Ghazni where he’d been living under TB protection. He was close to Al-Zawhiri & supported HQN & TB for years. The intel on him suggests he was fully aware of 9/11 attacks in the US pic.twitter.com/6dPjfDyY8o
— NDS Afghanistan (@NDSAfghanistan) October 25, 2020
Meanwhile, across the country:
- At least 30 people were killed and over 70 were wounded after a suicide bomber detonated explosives close to an educational center in the western part of Kabul city;
- SOF reinforcements arrived in the Imam Sahib area amid heavy clashes with Taliban around the town;
- A Police vehicle was hit with an IED in the Bihsud area of Nangarhar;
- An air strike targeted Taliban positions in the vicinity of Dehrawud;
- The Taliban captutred most of the Baharak district of Takhar province.
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- 12 Fighters Killed, Dozens Missing After Failed Operation Against Taliban In Takhar Province
- Dropped Prosecutions: The Afghan Files, Public Interest Journalism and Dan Oakes
- Taliban Attack Leaves At Least 16 Dead Afghan Security Forces In Baghlan Province