On August 17th, the Il-112V military transport aircraft crashed in the Moscow region in Russia. It was the only flight model of this aircraft.
Before the crash, the crew managed to report a fire in the right engine when the aircraft was landing. According to preliminary reports, it was the cause of the accident.
According to the press service of the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC, part of the Rostec state Corporation), the prototype of the newest light military transport aircraft Il-112B crashed near the Kubinka airfield during a training flight.
The crew was composed of three prominent Russian pilots:
– Nikolai Kuimov, who had the highest honorary title of the Hero of the Russian Federation;
– 1st class research pilot Dmitry Komarov;
– 1st class research flight engineer Nikolay Khludeev.
All the crew members were killed as a result of the accident.
They managed to take the aircraft away from residential buildings before it crashed 1,5 km away from the airfield. Thus, the accident resulted in no casualties and no damage on the ground.
The aircraft was the only flight model of the Il-112V. It arrived from Voronezh to Zhukovsky airfield near Moscow on August 13, 2021. It should take part in the international military-technical forum “Army-2021”.
Il-112V is a twin-engine light military transport aircraft being developed by JSC Ilyushin Aviation Complex, a part of JSC United Aircraft Corporation (UAC), for the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation. It is aimed to replace the Soviet An-24 and An-26.
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- Aircraft Of Afghan Air Force Crashed In Uzbekistan (Photos)
- Russian Firefighting Aircraft Crashed In Turkey, Killing Everyone On Board (Videos)
- Three Bodies Found Days After Mi-8 Helicopter Crashed Into Lake In Kamchatka, Russia