In a complete 180 degree turn, the Ukrainian Security Service – the SBU now said that it hadn’t detained the driver of the tow truck that transported MH17 case’s “BUK Launcher.”
On July 20th, the SBU said that another person drove the tow truck, not the one arrested. The one arrested was the Donetsk People’s Republic militiaman who was allegedly involved in the seizure of the BUK launcher.
“On July 17, 2019, a briefing was held in Kyiv on the course of the investigation of this tragedy. After the event, mass media disseminated unreliable information about the detention of the trailer driver, who transported “BUK” air-defence missile system on July 17, 2014. In fact, on the briefing was mentioned the fact of the arrest and conviction by the Ukrainian court of the “DNR” (editor: DPR) terrorist organization militant, involved in the illegal capture of a trailer in Donetsk in July 2014. In the following on this trailer other persons transported “BUK” air-defence missile system through the territories of Luhansk and Donetsk regions, temporarily uncontrollable to the Ukrainian authorities, by means of which Boeing 777 MH-17 flight was shot down,” the SBU statement read.
This followed a July 17th press conference during which the SBU said that it had detained the driver of the tow truck.
Russia, too, released a statement on July 17th, saying that the MH17 investigation was quite dubious and provided no substantive evidence to any of their claims.
Essentially, the Russian side expressed what was quite apparent for a while – Russia was found guilty prior to the investigation and any subsequent efforts by the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) and Ukraine, US, etc. are solely focused on constructing a narrative that makes enough sense to be believable.
“At the request of the investigators, Russia declassified for the first time ever documents on the Buk surface-to-air missile complex, proved that the missile that downed the aircraft, according to the JIT, belonged to Ukraine, and many other things. Unfortunately, all these unique data are insistently ignored and not taken into consideration by the investigation or silenced during JIT’s news events that increasingly resemble political propaganda shows.
At the same time, evidence is based on sources that are quite questionable: social media, poor quality photo images and video footage, data from Ukrainian special services with nothing to back them, and investigations by would-be independent bloggers. It is no surprise that guided by an approach of this kind it took some time before the JIT allowed Malaysia to join the investigation. The latest statements made by this country’s officials and experts show that Malaysia is not inclined to make any hasty accusations. The prohibition to publish any data without the approval from all the participants in the group, including Ukraine, also raises eyebrows,” the Russian statement read.
The JIT, which, under the leadership of the Prosecutor General of the Netherlands without the participation of Russia, is conducting an investigation into the circumstances of the crash, has previously presented interim results. The investigation claims that the Boeing was shot down by the Buk air defense system, which belonged to the 53rd anti-aircraft missile brigade of the Russian Armed Forces from Kursk.
The JIT announced the names of four suspects in the MH17 crash case. According to the statement, among the suspects are Russians Igor Girkin, Sergey Dubinsky and Oleg Pulatov, as well as the Ukrainian Leonid Kharchenko. The investigation considers them to be involved in the delivery of the Buk air defense missile system to the position in the Donbass, to be used in the attack on the Malaysian Boeing.
As the representative of the JIT said, the investigation will issue international warrants for their arrest. The JIT also reported that the trial of the MH17 crash case will be held in the Netherlands, it will begin on March 9th, 2020.
As stated by Russian Deputy Prosecutor General Nikolai Vinnichenko, the Russian side gave the Netherlands data from the Russian radar and documentation indicating that the Buk missile system that hit Boeing belonged to Ukraine, but this information was ignored by investigators.
Even the Malaysian side has repeatedly said that if Russia, in fact, was responsible for the downed airplane, then sufficient evidence should be provided. Malaysian top officials stated that no evidence confirming this claim has been presented.
The most recent backtracking and attempt to “retcon” the narrative by the Ukrainian SBU is quite showing of the attempts to “fit” reality to the narrative, and not discover what really transpired.
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- Arranging the Narrative: Mainstream Outlets In Rush To Hide Links Of Nazis Detained In Italy With Pro-Kiev Forces In Eastern Ukraine
- “Where Is the Evidence?”: Malaysian PM Slams MH17 Investigation As Not Impartial And Politically Motivated
- Ukraine’s SBU Clams It Detained Driver Of Towing Truck That Transported MH17 Case’s ‘Buk Launcher’