On April 21, Uzbek terrorists raided a post of the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) near the town of Ruwayhah in the southern Idlib countryside.
Syrian soldiers clashed with terrorists who attempted to storm the post, to no avail. Eventually, the terrorists were forced to withdraw.
The London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that five Syrian soldiers were killed and three others were injured as a result of the attack. However, a source in the army told SouthFront that only two soldiers were killed and a third was injured.
During the clashes, SAA soldiers inflicted some losses on the terrorists. At least three were killed. The bodies of two of them are still in the hands of the army.
Opposition sources confirmed that the attackers were fighters of al-Qaeda-affiliated Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS). The largest Uzbek formation in the Greater Idlib region, Katibat al Tawhid wal Jihad, is a faction of HTS.
The raid was a blatant violation of the ceasefire in Greater Idlib, which was brokered by Russia and Turkey on March 5 of last year.
The SAA responded to the attack with artillery strikes on militant’s positions in Greater Idlib. A more serious response by the Russian Aerospace Forces is to be expected.
- Epic Fail: Israel Says Its Complex Air-Defense Network Failed To Intercept Soviet Missile Launched By Syria
- Israel Bombs Syria Twice In One Evening, After SAM Lands Near Dimona Nuclear Reactor